- StuffIt Expander, your OS X WinRAR/WinZip equivalent.
- MacFUSE, this extension enables file systems in user space for the mac. Ever want to read NTFS?
- NTFS 3g, the NTFS plug in for macFUSE, no more 'Items could not be moved because XXX cannot be modified'. Why OS X doesn't support NTFS is beyond me. I have been using the NTFS 3g plug in with no problems for about a year now.
- Opera, while not a Mac-only utility, having the Opera web browser is essential. Especially when Safari acts up, or you want to use IRC, or bittorrent, or RSS, or email, or anything really. Its an all in one solution.
- Parallels, lets you run your bootcamp Windows partition seamlessly inside the mac, and with graphics acceleration to boot. Nifty. While not free, I feel its worthwhile. The free alternative is virtualbox.
- Nocturne, this lets you dim, and otherwise change your screen display. Very useful for late night computing.
- Small Image, for quick image resizing.
- Paintbrush for mac.
- Perian and Flip4Mac WMVfor extending media file support by OS X.
Using Machine Learning To Cut Down Surgical Videos
20 minutes ago